Honeycomb Caves and Sensation Gorge Falls without the Falls


Mole Creek is a little old town situated in the Grassy green foothills of central north Tasmania. This destination is a good base for a few wilderness delights. My two girls and I decided to drive to a couple of the wilderness locations around Mole Creek, to explore, on a Winter’s Sunday drive. 




Our first wilderness stop was searching for Sensation Gorge Falls. Following directions from the Waterfalls of Tasmania site, we managed to find the start of this walk relatively easy. Very quickly we realised that we weren’t going to be seeing a sensational waterfall as the creek bed we walked beside was dry. Not the tiniest bit of water in it, which is unusual for this time of year. The girls and I decided we would walk in the green mossy creek bed and very quickly found it quite slippery. I slipped at one stage and looked like I was ice skating with my leg up in the sky. Carefully placing each foot in front of the other we slowly made our way down the creek bed imagining what it would look like with water running through it. 







After venturing to what would have been the top of the waterfall I continued on alone, walking a further 100 or so metres down stream and actually discovered some water. This was the true location of Sensation Gorge Falls, however it was just Sensation Gorge without the falls. It looked a bit like a water hole situated at the base of this drop. I can only imagine how spectacular this fall would look when flowing. I ventured down a bit more and took a couple of photos.



Back to the car we trudged stepping on the green mossy rocks for a slight bit of grip under foot. First destination complete! 

Second destination is Honeycomb Caves found on Caveside Road. I actually came across these caves when looking on listmap Tasmania https://maps.thelist.tas.gov.au/listmap/app/list/map I was working out where Westmorland Falls were and noticed a heap of caves and sink holes in the area. This intrigued the explorer in me. I looked up Honeycomb Caves and couldn’t believe it was a place as amazing as it was and I hadn’t been to it before in the whole 38 years I have lived in Tasmania. 

We made it to the Honeycomb Caves and parked the car. There are plenty of warning signs around the area suggesting the danger in exploring this cave site. Eagerly I went down a path and straight into the depths of Honeycomb Cave. The scenery is eerily beautiful. The cold breeze on my skin and the slow adjustment for my eyes increased the adrenaline in my body. I could hear a creek trickling along the cave echoing the sound of water around the cave. The stalactite hanging from the ceiling gave it the name it carries as it looked like honeycomb. We spent a fair bit of time walking in the cave exploring all of the tunnels. There are multiple entries and exits to this cave. I took too many photos but there were just so many beautiful places I wanted to recount on this blog. Enjoy viewing what was the best cave I have explored in Tasmania free of charge. It was a great Sunday drive and adventure!





















Comments

Popular Posts