My personal journey and the gorgeous Cockle Creek

 

‘If you want to heal, find water and stars! ⭐️

For those of you who have read a blog or two of mine, you will find this one slightly more personal as I discuss my trip to Cockle Creek as a distraction to a diagnosis that has changed my life.

The first day of camping came at the end of the day, after I had a follow up mammogram at breast screen Tasmania. I had a core biopsy completed to test a lump found from my very first mammogram. I had just turned 40 and decided to get tested as a close friend of mine had just gone through breast cancer. 

It was good to get to Cockle Creek and find a spot to camp. We were lucky enough to find our very own space and setup our campsite. 


We grabbed something to eat and went for a stroll along the beach. Mick threw a lure out as we walked, but got no nibbles. 




Back at our campsite at dusk when the wallabies came out, we were lucky enough to see a small Tasmanian Devil walk through the campsite. Cockle Creek allows dogs so there was a dog that started barking at the devil and it hid under a car. 


Day 2 of our Cockle Creek camping trip had its positives and negatives. The weather was absolutely beautiful and Mick went spearfishing in the morning so I went and did a relaxing walk to the Southern Right Whale Sculpture to have a look. 



The view was just amazing. I decided to continue on and walk up to Fishers Point and take a look at the old pilot station ruins. This walk gave me the opportunity to seek solitude and really absorb the calming nature this environment had to offer. The mountains as the backdrop to the aqua clear blue water made me think of the beaches I explored at Flinders Island.














Mick had enjoyed his first spearfish at Cockle Creek with two crayfish and a flounder. We cooked up the crayfish and ate them straight off the bbq for lunch. 


After lunch we went for a drive and hit a 4WD track. The sign informed us it was a medium/hard track but we did not agree as we did not once put the car into 4WD. It was simply a very hard, rocky track.



Up to this point I had such a relaxing day and was healing through nature. This changed when we arrived back to our campsite to find three families had moved in to the campsite and squished their tents in between our tent and a caravan in the corner. Their tent was no more than a metre from our tent. Part of getting away for five days was for the peace and quiet which did not happen for the rest of our trip. We had to listen to every conversation and the generator that was used after 11pm each night. Just some respect around privacy and space would have been appreciated.



Day 3 was a very hot day so I was keen to hit the water for a swim. Due to my biopsy I was unable to soak in the water for too long but the salt water felt so good. I found a beautiful, cosy spot and had the whole stretch of the beach to myself. I took a book to read and just had some alone time to relax and listen to nature while Mick went spearfishing. 



After lunch we set off on a bush walk to Mystery Creek Caves. To find out more on Mystery Creek Caves, check out my blog here.





We then went for a drive into Southport and checked out the boat ramp and view. We finished off the night with a meal at the pub. 





Day 4 was the day I had been looking forward to. We walked the South Cape track which was an 18km walk to the southern most point of Tasmania. The weather was perfect, the walk explored a diverse landscape and the destination was stunningly beautiful. At the end of the beach was Lion Rock which was a massive rock formation sticking vertically out of the water. To find out more detailed information on the walk check out my blog on it here













When we returned to our campsite I hit the water to relax the muscles and Mick hit the water to spear us some tea. Both goals were achieved as I felt relaxed and Mick came back with two crayfish, two abalone and three fish. We finished a great day off with a delicious crayfish curry. After tea we went for a walk to check out the old Cockle Creek grave site. So interesting reading the history of the people from Cockle Creek back 100 years ago. 







Day 5 was pack up day and the long journey back home. It took a good six hours to get home. 

The very next day was my day to receive my biopsy results. The news was not good as I found out I have triple negative breast cancer in my right breast which is a grade 3 aggressive cancer.

I have come to realise how important being out in nature is to me. It’s my place to clear the mind and rejuvenate the soul. I will be seeking solitude out in the environment as part of my healing. 

If you are 40 and above please get a mammogram. I had no signs or symptoms and am lucky enough that I have discovered the cancer early enough to fight. 






Comments

  1. Hi Tameika. I loved your soulful story about your healing journey. The photos are magnificent. Sending best wishes for more adventures and hoping all goes well for you in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts